We hope everyone enjoys a safe and festive Mardi Gras holiday.
- Party responsibly! Many accidents happen from over-intoxication.
- Pace yourself with non-alcoholic beverages and food.
- Watch your step, as roads or sidewalks can be uneven.
- Never drink and drive. Make sure someone in your group will be the designated driver.
- Whether at a parade or festival, stick with your group. Festive areas can get crowded quickly, and it can be hard to find someone once you’re separated.
- If you do lose track of a friend or child, ask a nearby police officer or Acadian medic for assistance.
- Dress for the weather. Layers are important when temperatures drop in the evenings. Rain jackets and boots may be necessary to stay comfortable.
- Always keep an eye out for parade throws. Heavy flying beads can cause cuts or painful bruises, and beads on the ground can be a tripping hazard.
- Don’t allow children to cross over parade barricades to pick up a fallen throw. Ask a nearby police officer to pass it to you, or grab it after the floats have passed. Barricades are put up for your safety.